Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Steampunk Film Review: The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box

I found The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box (2013) on Netflix recently and decided to give it a try, mostly because it features stars like Lena Headey and Sam Neill.  The film is based on a series of books by G.P. Taylor.  From the outset I knew it was a film rooted in Steampunk, and so I really wanted to like it.  I really tried.

The supporting cast was great and the main actor did fine, but the film lacked a well-written script.  No amount of Steampunk nostalgia and campy nods can save this film from what it is at heart: a film thrown together, based on a series of young adult novels trying to cash in on the Steampunk trend.

I don't mean for this review to sound truly scathing, as there were genuine moments in the film that intrigued me.  The architecture of Sam Neill's hotel was breathtaking and the concept itself wasn't bad.  Some of the best moments came from Steampunk inventions owned by Sam Neill's character, including a pair of goggles that can see recently trodden footprints.  A useful tool if I do say so myself.

It's entirely possible that the Mariah Mundi books by G.P. Taylor are far better than this film.  That said, if you have time to kill and want to see Sam Neill play a baddie the film isn't a complete waste of time.  I'd queue it up in Netflix, but don't waste any money on it.  You'd be better off with films like Stardust (2007).

Trevor's Rating of The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box: 62% (For a visually interesting movie with a terrible script).

1 comment:

  1. This is really very useful information that I have come across through searching the keyword top replica watches

    ReplyDelete