Monday, February 7, 2011

Weave, Wrap, Coil Review

Weave, Wrap, Coil is a book I bought specifically to learn how to make wire-wrapped rings. The first 21 pages of the book provide step-by-step instructions for general wire-wrapping techniques as well as a detailed list of every tool you will need for the process. The book itself is not necessarily steampunk, but some of the tutorials in the book would only need a little bit of tweaking to make them steam. If your goal is making steampunk jewelry, I would only recommend this book for learning the wire-wrapping techniques. However, there is one tutorial for making "Key to my Steampunk Heart," which involves some clock parts.

A nice feature of Weave, Wrap, Coil is that it breaks up the twenty-five tutorials into beginner, intermediate, and advanced. This helped tremendously as I could filter through the book for the right level of difficulty for me, and then challenge myself with more difficult pieces. My favorite tutorial is the "Evolution Ring," which is categorized as advanced. With a little tweaking and a careful choice of materials, I might be able to replicate one of Daniel Proulx's pieces from Catherinette Rings.

I found out while writing this review that the editor is none other than Jean Campbell, author of Steampunk Style and Jewelry. I've heard there's a follow-up book coming out this year, which I have high hopes for.

Trevor's Rating of Weave, Wrap, Coil: 87%

No comments:

Post a Comment