Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Oliver Twist: Steampunk Edition?

Photo Courtesy of Theater Latte Da
In a report by the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Broadway classic 'Oliver!' is getting a Steampunk rendition in the Twin Cities. Being the book nerd that I am, I think this is fantastic. While not my first thought when I think of Steampunk, Dickens was a Victorian writer whose work may lend itself quite well to the genre.

When I think of Charles Dickens, I don't think of Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities, or any of his more famous works. Instead, I remember slogging through Bleak House, the 800+ page tome that was initially released as 20 monthly installments.  I remember it because it was a snapshot of London during Dickens' time that wasn't as apparent in his other works because it had less to do with the story.  Oliver Twist is about Oliver Twist, whereas Bleak House isn't really about the long list of main characters, it's about the times and the place creating the circumstances by which the characters suffer. Did I finish it? Sadly, no. Now it seems if I was going to finish it I would have done so already.  But I digress, London in the mid-nineteenth century is the quintessential time for Steampunk renditions of classic works.  I only hope this is the first of many plays I see as the Steampunk genre continues to proliferate to the masses.

The play is being held at Theater Latté Da in Minneapolis, MN from February 4th, 2015 through March 1st, 2015 and costs between $36 and $56 per ticket.  The theater is located at 345 13th Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413.  The Phone number to contact the theater is 612-339-3003.  Any of my readers from Minneapolis should certainly check it out! If you saw the show, contact me at Trevor.Scott.Schmidt [at] Gmail.com and share your story. I'll be sure to feature it in my next blog.



1 comment:

  1. Who can forget Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, a much loved story from the older times of London. I will look forward to the review of the play in your next post.

    ReplyDelete